For the oenologists at Segura Viudas, Aria is a unique cava. Just as in Opera, where the Aria allows the soloist to express his talent to the full, so, for the creation of Aria we have brought together all our experience in growing the Parellada, and the complexities of our own indigenous yeast strains, to express to the full the grape’s personality. The Parellada grapes are grown in a location where they mature slowly over a long period, which is ideal for making such a fruity cava as Aria. The yeasts we use are different to those used for the rest of our cavas, in that they ferment at lower temperatures, and bring out to the full, the fine varietal aromas. This philosophy has given us one of the most elegant and fruity cavas in our collection.
Macabeo 60%, Parellada 20%, Xarel·lo 20%
Minimum of 15 months
• The Parellada comes from Plà de Manlleu, grown on old vines, almost at the altitude limit of this vine’s habitat. There it achieves optimum maturity, gently and slowly, giving low yields of wonderfully healthy grapes.
• The Macabeo beautifully balances the romantic Parellada. The Macabeo vineyards are selec- ted from the finest in the middle Penedes, low yielding as a result of hard pruning. We look for concentration of aromas and a balance between sugar and acidity.
• As with all our creations, the grapes are entirely harvested by hand, and brought to the winery in 25kg capacity self-draining plastic boxes to avoid damaging the grapes, which might lead to oxidation and consequent loss of freshness.
• The grapes for Aria are pressed as soon as they reach the winery, using very gentle pressure, and we only use the first 50% of the juice extracted. This we call “The flower must”.
• The blend is created from 7 different base wines: 3 of Macabeo, 3 of Parellada and 1 of Xarel·lo, the last of which contributes a light nuance of assertiveness, typical of the finest wines from this variety.
• The type of yeast strain we use for the first fermentation is fundamental. From our own collection of yeasts, the one we select for Aria is different to the rest, in that it can ferment at a temperature as low as 12 °C, whilst concentrating the primary aromas of our flower must. • After the secondary fermentation, the wine is kept for a minimum of 15 months on its lees, completely still, and in the dark, 20 metres below ground, at a natural and constant tempera- ture of between 14 and 16 °C. This ageing process increases the complexity of the wine without the freshness and finesse of the Macabeo and Parellada being lost.
On one hand, the Macabeo delivers notes of freshness, body and traces of citrus. On the other the Parella- da…subtleness and elegance of vine flowers, and a hint of aromatic herbs. The colour is straw yellow tending towards gold, and there is a fine, integrated mousse.
The rich nose and elegant palate are enhanced by the long ageing period, which contributes notes of pastries and butter. Above all, there is a perfect balance between fruit, acidity and a refreshing finish.
This is one of the most perfect aperitifs, pure enjoyment. Natural, balanced, refreshing, an ideal start to any meal. It marries perfectly with lightly fried morsels and tempura, with canapés, serrano ham, mild cheeses, tapas and brochettes, as well as risottos and most pasta dishes. Balance and bright Mediterra- nean sunshine.
• Alcohol 12% vol.
• Total Acidity: 3,4 g/l
• Dosage <3 g/l
• pH: 2,95
Aria Brut Nature
In stock (can be backordered)