2019 Arizcuren • Sologarnacha ánfora • Tim Atkin 95/100:
“To my mind, this is the best Garnacha release yet from Javier Arizcuren. Fermented and aged in amphoras in his stylish urban winery in downtown Logroño, it’s fresher brighter and better balanced than previous releases, with the youthful enthusiasm of a parcel planted in 2017. Floral, refined and racy with good minerality and savoury tannins. Impressive for such a young site. 2023-27”
In a 250-liter pot of cooked clay for 5 months
Sierra de Yerga, Quel, La Rioja-D. O. C. Rioja
Garnacha was the majority variety until no more than 30 years ago in La Rioja Baja. Arizcuren sologarnacha aims to show the goodness of this variety in a specific place, the northern slopes of the Sierra de Yerga and their suitability for cultivation. To do this, we work with some of the few old vineyards that are still left, looking on the one hand for a representative wine and, on the other, to value the set that form a variety, a driving system (glass) and an area, the aforementioned Sierra de Yerga. In this way, perhaps, the process of “deserting” the historic vineyards of grenache that existed in this area can be reversed. The production process follows the principle of minimal intervention, trying to respect the variety and the place of origin.
The production process follows the principle of minimal intervention, trying to respect the variety and the place of origin. For this reason, no exogenous products are used (except a minimum amount of sulphurous) and traditional growing in Wood is replaced by an earthen jar that allows the essence of the variety to be kept intact.
The wine obtained after the passage through the tinaja is much rounder and finished than the aged in wooden barrels showing itself as the purest reflection of what the variety is. With this wine I have the possibility to do a very didactic work to publicize the characteristics of the variety in order to put it in value within the OJ to avoid the tendency to decrease the area cultivated by grubbing up of existing historical vineyards
The grapes come from two vineyards with common soil and age characteristics: El Pastor, at 550 meters above sea level and el Foro, at 600 meters. In both cases they are vineyards of more than 40 to 60 years old planted with a high density of planting in sandy soil with the presence of clays at varying depths.
Harvest in boxes of 11 Kg, destemmed 90%, the remaining 10% whole bunch. Cold pre-fermentative maceration in stainless steel tanks for 3-5 days. Spontaneous fermentation once the temperature of the deposits rises. Uncovered and soft pressed with manual vertical press which allows us to mix the yolk wine and the press before inserting them into the mud jar.
Alcohol 14.58% Vol.
pH / acidity 3,82 / 4,05 gr / l
Residual sugar 1 gr / l
Solo Garnacha in AMPHORA Arizcuren