90% Trepat, 10% Garnacha
Brut Rosé from Segura Viudas is a perfect example of what a Cava Rosado should be like, with its intense fruitiness, on both nose and palate, its lively colour, and its finesse. Made principally from the Trepat variety. This black grape, originally from the area of Conca de Barbera, is grown very little nowadays, with only 1.000 ha in the whole Denomination. At Segura Viudas, we were pioneers in the regeneration of Trepat through our policy of working with indigenous varieties as the raw materials for our creations to give us the distinctive typicity we are always looking for.
Ageing on lees during 12 months minimum
• All the grapes are hand picked and transported to the winery in 25kg capacity, self draining plastic boxes to prevent berries splitting and subsequent possible oxidation and consequent loss of freshness.
• Made principally from Trepat, with the addition of 10% Garnacha. The Trepat produces the freshness of fruit, the aroma and the finesse. The Garnacha enhances its taste.
• Traditional skin maceration to create the colour and to extract the aromas of the grapes. The Trepat is macerated for 24 hours at 12-14ºC
– The Garnacha is macerated for 12 hours at 16-18ºC
• The blend of the Brut Rosé is made from 7 separate wines from the two grapes.
• The first and second fermentations are carried out using our own selected yeasts. These yeasts give the finished wine its own identity.
• Ageing time on the lees is less for this rosado than for the rest of our cavas, since our objecti- ve is to retain the primary aromas of the fruit. A minimum of 12 months in contact with the lees will give the Rosado a perfect balance between fruit aromas and complexity. The fruit, naturally, comes from the grapes, and the complexity from the process of autolysis of the yeasts during the secondary fermentation in bottle, where the personality of the yeasts is trans- ferred to the wine, enriching it in flavours and nuances.
• The versatility of this Rosado, with just the right level of sweetness, at 9 grams, make it ideal as an aperitif, for al fresco eating, or just as a glass on its own on the patio.
Bright, light strawberry pink, with hints of salmon, or onion skin, with a pale rim. A fine, abundant and consistent mousse, rising to a good crown. Youthful fruit aromas of strawberry, redcurrant and grenadi- ne. Refreshing on the palate, full of cherry fruit and a light acidity. A soft finish to the back of the palate gives a lovely approachable balance to this very drinkable cava.
A refreshing balanced cava thanks to its meticulous blending and finishing – the Trepat delivering the fruit and the Garnacha the taste. With these characteristics it is perfect with most appetizers or starters, whether fish or vegetable, and it is ideal with seafood rice, with salmon, or with grilled tuna where it combines both in colour and in flavour. It is also a joy just as a mid-afternoon drink.
Juan Muñoz, Sommelier
• Alcohol 12% vol.
• Total Acidity 4 g/l
• Dosage 9 g/l
• Ageing on lees: A minimum of 12 months • pH: 3