Macabeo 67% – Parellada 33%
Brut Reserva is only made in certain, very specific vintages, when we know that the base wines are going to be capable of a long period of bottle ageing. Only the very best white wines can withstand more than 40 months of lees ageing. It is, therefore, a “Vintage” Cava in the truest sense, with 100% of the grapes coming from its specified vintage year, and it is not a wine which we create from every harvest. The other distinguishing feature of this Cava is that the shipping liquor is made from wines fermented and aged in oak barrels.
More than 40 months of lees ageing
• Macabeo is the dominant variety in Brut Vintage, contributing acidity and brightness as well as improving ageing potential. Parellada from the region’s highest vineyards, harvested almost a month later than the Macabeo enriches the blend with floral and aromatic notes.
• The must for Brut Vintage comes from the lightest of pressings. We only use the first 50% of the must, known as “The Flower Must” which is the lightest and most delicate.
• The blend is made from 12 different wines created from Macabeo and Parellada. The juice from both varieties is fermented separately, and at low temperatures (14-16ºC) to create maximum varietal identity.
• The first and second fermentations are both carried out using our own selected yeast strains. These yeasts deliver structure, a soft mouthfeel, more complex aromas (honey, dried fruits, and flowers) along with an elegant, persistent mousse.
• To further increase the sensation of structure of this Cava, the shipping liquor is made from white wines which have been fermented and aged in American and French oak barrels over a 5 month period.
• In order to enhance the many nuances of Brut Vintage, the shipping liquor contains no added sugar, and the finished product is therefore a Brut Nature.
Straw yellow, with flashes of gold.
A Cava with a very fine mousse, appreciably enhancing the wine’s brightness of tone, and rising to form a light string of beads at the surface in the glass.
Good intense and complex aromas. There are notes of ripe apple fruit and bright citrus over an elegant backdrop of dried fruits and baked bread coming from its appropriate lees ageing.
On the palate it is flavoursome, refreshing and balanced, with good fruit delivery; it has a creamy texture and has the fine finish with the complex flavours of a fine, well aged Cava.
This is an intense, rich Cava on the palate, perfectly balancing elegant fruit with the fullness of long bottle ageing. These characteristics make it the ideal partner for Iberian Acorn fed Ham, the richness of which needs a match which has both body and freshness. White meats in a light sauce would also be a perfect match. We would also heartily recommend a “sea and mountain” combination, such as lobster and free range chicken, and it is ideal with Japanese cuisine where the Soya elements beautifully balance the finesse of raw fish. Grilled red tuna would also be a balanced companion. For cheese matches, stretch curd, or smoked goat and sheep’s milk cheeses are ideal, as is matured cheese such as Emmental where the creamy and fruity notes would match Brut Vintage to perfection.
Juan Muñoz, Sommelier
• Alcohol: 12% vol. • Total Acidity: 3,65 g/l
• Dosage: < 3 g/l
• Ageing on lees: 30 months minimum Cava Gran Reserva
• pH: 3.05
Only 4 left in stock