Predominantly Xarel·lo grapes, with additions of Macabeo and Parellada from old vineyards. Torre Galimany is the true expression of our roots and customs, and of one of our stellar varie- ties, the Xarel·lo. The first vintage of this work of art was 1998, opening the door to a new gene- ration of expressive and exciting cavas. It was a concept which had been in research for some years, and finally the oenologist at Segura Viudas, Gabriel Suberviola was able to create a Xare- l·lo base wine for cava, which had been fermented and aged in oak barrels. The vineyard from which this Xarel·lo is selected is over 70 years old, and thanks to its low yield and altitude it produces very ripe, concentrated fruit with good ageing potential. This is a cava which enchants and seduces the wine lover, looking for new sensory experiences.
• Torre Galimany was one of the first cavas on the market to be produced using barrel ageing and it laid the groundwork to prove that barrel aged cavas could be obtained from native grape varieties, such as Xarel·lo, by including the wood in its processing. This would open the way to broadening its product range.
• The blend (coupage) in this cava is dominated by Xarel·lo grapes from several vineyards which are between 32 and 73 years old, amongst which the “La Vinya del Corn” vineyard (The Horn Vineyard) located in Sant Joan Samora is a highlight as it is 73 years old. Its 2 hectares sit on chalky clay soil, with deep roots and good water filtration. Situated at an altitude of 280 metres above sea level, not many vineyards remain in the area with these characteristics, especially when considering the quality of the fruit provided each year.
• 100% of the grapes are hand-picked and transported in perforated 25 Kg boxes to prevent grapes being squashed and oxidation caused by the must, with the consequent loss of freshness.
• Two Xarel·lo wines, one Macabeo wine and one Parellada wine are merged in the Torre Galimany blend (coupage). One of the Xarel·lo wines is fermented in oak barrels and remains in the same barrels for 5 months. The other Xarel·lo wine is fermented in stainless steel tanks, where it remains for five months on its lees.
• Both the Macabeo and the Parellada wines are fermented in stainless steel tanks, and remain in contact with the fermentation lees for several months to increase their complexity and structure.
• The first and second fermentations are carried out with our own selected yeasts, giving a unique perso- nality to our cavas.
• It has had at least 30 months ageing in bottle, and is a Gran Reser- va Cava.
• For appreciation of the many nuances arising from the wood and the base wine blend, this cava carries no expedition liqueur (liqueur de triage) and no sugar has been added. It is therefore a Brut Nature.
Pale straw yellow colour
A fine, abundant mousse which rises to a whitish half crown.
On the nose, the fruit predominates over the wood. There are aromas of tropical fruit – pineapple and of white flowers over a spicy background of vanilla and coconut created by the fermentation and ageing of Xarel·lo in new barrels.
The palate has good body, with long, tasty acidity and good presence along with an integrated and creamy mousse.
Hints of dried fruits and soft toasted notes communicate great character that makes it ideal with smoked fish, such as salmon and herring, as well as truffles, as it softens the flavours. An essential partner with foie gras and grilled meats, as it has enough structure to balance the intense flavours.
Intense and perfect pairing with singular cheeses such Roquefort, Torta del Casar, rich rice dishes and Jamón de bellota (acorn cured ham).
• Alcohol: 12,5% vol.
• Total Acidity: 3,75 g/l
• Dosage: < 3 g/l No shipping liquor added.
• Lees ageing: A minimum of 30 months. Cava Gran Reserva • pH: 2,92
In stock (can be backordered)